Central Toronto Amateur Radio Club Newsletter
The regular monthly Club meeting was held on at on 2012-07-03 at the Leaside Retirement Residence, 10 William Morgan Drive, Toronto, Ontario. The Chairman opened the meeting at 19h32 EDT.
Members Attending: Bruno VE3VXR, Richard VA3RBZ, Ed VE3EOC, George VA3GJ, Peter VE3EYI (president) John VA3JE (chairman), Jeff VE3PRX (secretary), Bill VE3RYE, Don VE3AFE, Ward VE3WGK, Alex VA3XLO, Tim VE3IXN, Jean VE3WAD, Ralph VE3RWO, Ori VA3XW, Clayton Wozney, Bill VA3WTT (treasurer), Ben VA3BLO, Paul VA3PAW, Eva McDonald, Stewart VA3PID, Ian VA3IGD, David VA3WTX, Bill VA3WTT (treasurer), Ian VE3IJS (25) New members: Robert VE3BXG, Derek VE3XEC (2)
Visitors: Victor Beitner VA3OZZ, Charles Wong, Alex Wong (3)
Regrets: Ian VA3ODA Ray VE3UKO, Bill VA3PPC, Alison Honsberger (4)
Review of the previous meeting:
-The Newsletter now serves as the official record. The June Newsletter was distributed prior to the June meeting. Copies of the June Newsletter and raw Minutes were available for inspection by those present.
- The Secretary asked if there were any errors or omissions noted in the June Newsletter. Given that there were none he asked for a Motion to adopt the June Newsletter as a correct account of the meeting. Motion by Jean WAD seconded by Don AFE, carried by majority vote.
Business Arising from the Minutes:
- ARES/EMO has offered Jim Taylor VA3KU to us for a presentation. The Chairman will follow up.
- Don XFT is working on a basic course revision for a September start
-Ralph RWO suggested some informal get-togethers in between meetings. Here are two possibilities:
Senior’s Coffee Club – Meets every Tuesday starting between 08:00 and 08:30 at McDonald’s, 2116 Kipling Ave., north of Rexdale Blvd.
Or if the Seniors part is too scary drop in to the Tim Horton’s at 4 Lebovic Avenue in Scarborough. That’s one block west of Warden Ave on the South side of Eglinton Ave East in the same plaza as the Canadian Tire. Time will be 7pm to 9pm on August 15 or September 19. Organized by the Scarborough ARC but open to all.
-Dayton 2012 showed a spray-on antenna system from Chamtech. Currently for cell phone frequencies. Ask Google to learn more.
- Jay EMP gave an update on the status of the kit building project. There are only a few spots left so contact him if you are interested in participating.
- Elections! We have elections in September. Give some thought to how you can support the Club.
-There was a discussion about whether the Club should incorporate. This issue will be considered at a future date.
-Don AFE asked if members would be participating in the RAC contest in September.
-It was suggested that the club appoint or acquire a contest coordinator.
-John JE’s IC-706 exploded early on FD. EYI suggested that the club perhaps kick a few dollars toward the repair. No motion was forthcoming.
-Milton Ham Fleamarket is coming! July 16th! (by now in the history books. /p)
-Ben BLO has many gel and lead-acid batteries available for no cost. Contact him if you are interested.
- Field Day was very successful! We looked professional. Good job all.
- Room 430 is no longer available due to renovation, so we may be offered an alternate in building 14. A site visit is in the offing.
- Ralph RWO asked about having the Christmas party at at LRR. This option will be investigated closer to the date.
-There was general discussion on the topic of how to get internet connectivity in whatever room is assigned for a shack.
- The web site is working well, and the Club’s Facebook page is showing a lot of activity. Please follow us on twitter!
- Treasury apprentice WGK reports Ian Gibbard VA3IGD joined. The state of the Club’s finances is healthy. Details will be revealed to Members by email or are available by contacting the Treasurer.
-Receipts were distributed to Members for dues previously paid.
Club Station Report:
-If you have gear or items such as tables, chairs, bookcases, file cabinets, lamps, etc which you are willing to donate or provide on long-term loan to the Club please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Member’s On-air Activity:
-Please submit any interesting activity to email@example.com
-Please submit any significant ham-related items to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in the Newsletter.
-The Chairman is always open to suggestions for, or offers to give, a presentation at a meeting. Contact John JE in either case.
-When did Megacycles become Megahertz? Answer in Floobie dust.
Break: at 2029 Thanks to Jean WAD for the cookies and LRR for coffee
-At 2049, after the break, Peter EYI spoke about our Field Day effort and showed pictures taken by several of the attendees. John JE spoke about the process of reconciling the logs so they could be submitted to ARRL. He said that we made 285 contacts, 12 shy of 2010. John also said that FD 2013 would introduce computer logging to reduce the post event workload. Jean WAD moved for official thanks to the organizers of FD, seconded by Ralph RWO. There followed discussion on “setting up your first station” with input from several members. EYI showed photos of his favourite old radios and demonstrated his “low-mass” antenna which he uses when traveling. This was followed by general discussion on antenna for restricted space and operation in condos..
Following a Motion by WGK seconded by XW the meeting adjourned at 2200 EDT.
The Club meets at 1930 local on the first Tuesday of the month, unless it is a holiday, in which case the second Tuesday. Check in & out with Front Desk at Leaside Retirement Residence, 10 William Morgan Drive, in Leaside. Turn North off Overlea Blvd, West of Don Mills Rd. Parking on the West side of the building. Monitor VA3XPR 441.950+ p/l 100.0 or VE3TWR 145.410- on the drive in. Visitors are welcome.
Floobie Dust: (A term first coined in the 1976 National Semiconductor Audio Handbook, defined as “a contemporary term derived from archaic Latin miscellaneus, whose disputed history probably springs from Greek origins influenced, of course, by Egyptian linguists) — meaning here “a mixed bag.” )
Answer to trivia question Look under History.
From Neil ZL1NZ: His local club’s website
From Jeff PRX: How AM/FM works from Army training video
From Bruno VXR: Dipole made from paperclips